Thursday, November 4, 2021

Finding God in the Midst of the Holiday Chaos!

I find this time of year can be a bit overwhelming.  We have just finished October with Reformation and Halloween.  And before the Halloween candy is eaten, the stores are filled with decorations for the next two or three holidays.  At times it feels like we are trying to celebrate several holidays all at once.  It is often an extremely busy and overwhelming time of the year. 

In the midst of the chaos of the holidays, it is easy to get caught up in the hype.  When this happens, we may feel disconnected from things that keep us grounded.  What grounds you?  How do you re-energize yourself after a long and exhausting day?  One thing that works for me is a spiritual practice using Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God!” 

Psalm 46:10 as a spiritual practice:  Begin by finding a comfortable, quiet place.  After getting settled, you can say the words of Psalm 46:10 as printed below.

“Be still and know that I am God!

Be still and know that I am

Be still and know that I

Be still and know

Be still…”  (I find it helpful to sit in silence for a little bit before going further.)

“Be still

Be still and know

Be still and know that I

Be still and know that I am

Be still and know that I am God.”  (I find it helpful to take a few deep breaths before moving on with the rest of the day.)

Just taking a moment to be still and focus on God helps me re-energize.  I often feel more grounded and connected to God.  I encourage you to find moments throughout the holidays to spend in prayer, either using the words from Psalm 46:10, a favorite bible verse, or any prayer that is meaningful to you.  May you find peace in little moments of God’s presence!

Peace,

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...