Thursday, July 16, 2020

Glad to Be with You

Grace to you and peace, people of St. Mark,

It is good to be walking with you following Jesus’ call to take up our cross in the way of discipleship and neighbor-love. As we now walk together in partnership living out the hope of our calling and sharing the good news of God’s love and grace in Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit let me introduce myself to you.

Though I was born in North Dakota and lived in a small rural town for seven years, I primarily grew up in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Even as a young kid, I quickly found a home and a welcome in my congregation that I did not have at school, where I loved learning and hated recess. I grew up in a small congregation with an eclectic mix of members and friends. There were some 40 to 60 at worship on Sundays. I loved my years assisting as an acolyte and washing the communion ware. Some of my best Saturday nights as a teen were spent trimming candles and changing paraments!

Though quite active in my congregation growing up serving on the altar guild and mowing the lawn with my dad, I never imagined going to seminary. I even began college with a declared major in accounting. Nevertheless, I knew from the sixth grade that I wanted to go to a college of the church for the connection of faith and learning. Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota (class of 2003), eventually emerged as the community that had the right fit for me.

I intentionally took an introductory liberal arts class from a religion professor in my second semester. One day maybe six weeks into the class I asked him about what the requirements were for a religion minor. He said, “You’re a religion major, start planning now.” His perception was greater than my awareness at the time. I was quite happy with my business classes but enjoyed what I was learning in my biblical studies and theology classes. In the spring of my second year, a theology and ethics course sealed the deal for me, and I added religion as a major.

I graduated from Wartburg Theological Seminary in 2007 but was around for another year while in the call process. During that time, I began studies towards a second masters degree in theology and worked in the admissions office coordinating campus visits and other projects.

After completing my internship at Immanuel Lutheran in Dixon, Illinois, I returned to the Northern Illinois Synod in July 2008 for my first call at Faith Lutheran in Wataga. I served there for over ten years. In the fall of 2018, I moved to Rockford to begin serving as the interim pastor for Emmanuel Lutheran where I was until January 2020.

I have heartily embraced the identity of “church nerd” over the years. In addition to being active in the life of the congregation where I grew up, I always sensed a connection to the Rocky Mountain Synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as a denominational institution. I have been subscribed to ELCA news releases since I had my first email address in high school. Over the years I have been especially attentive to the development of the Social Statements and Social Messages of our church. I enjoy synod and churchwide assemblies. I have been a frequent visitor at churchwide assemblies and one-time voting member (2013), and I tell people my favorite nonliturgical season is synod assembly season. I am always inspired by the ministry we do as church together for the sake of the world. I currently serve on the Synod Council, as co-chair of the synod worship committee, and as a member of the Rostered Ministers Continuing Education team for the Northern Illinois Synod.

Perhaps it was being raised in a home with parents who are social workers that primed my interest in public policy advocacy. My dad was the county director for family services for all my growing up years in Cheyenne. I learned about the privilege I had being in a loving home, not having to worry about my next meal or when the public assistance funds would come each month. So, when I heard about the ministry of Bread for the Word in seminary and the impact of scale that public policy has compared to charitable efforts, I was hooked. Over the years I have continued to learn and grow in how to make the connections between faith and public life. For most of my years in ministry in Illinois, I have participated in the annual Lutheran Day in Springfield where the morning is spent learning about the needs of our social service partners and nonpartisan advocacy for a particular policy proposal. In and the afternoon there is opportunity for advocacy for a particular bill at the statehouse and a prayer service for all our elected leaders.

After my first year of seminary, my parents moved from their home in Cheyenne to Fargo, North Dakota, where they have lived since 2004. My two-years younger sister has recently moved to Northern Colorado. She is a navy veteran. With her Master of Music in Performance, she served as a trumpet musician in the navy band at Pearl Harbor for five years. Since completing her military service, she has earned her Master of Social Work degree and is passionate about ending homelessness and mental health awareness and advocacy.

Beyond my interests in theology, biblical studies, and areas of ecclesiastical ministry, I enjoy reading in the areas of economics, constitutional law, sociology, current affairs, and cultural studies. Over the years since seminary, I have become somewhat of a coffee connoisseur and discovered that I prefer dark roast coffees from particularly South East Asia. !00% Kona coffee is also an indulgent treat. I relish the quite beauty of botanical gardens and arboretums and especially enjoy the brilliant boldness of color in the blossoms of Asiatic Lilies and coleus plants.

I love to travel for conferences and to see family and friends. I am fascinated with the wonders of nature from forests to waterfalls. One of my dreams is to return to the Grand Canyon and experience it from the skywalk.

I am grateful to join in the mission and ministry of St. Mark and look forward to the gospel work we do together striving for justice and peace in all the earth.

Peace,

Pastor Robert Franek

Interim Associate Pastor


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything Deserves a Space

A few years ago, I planted a few beautiful coneflowers in one of the sunniest spots in the yard. The little greenhouse card staked into the ...