Thursday, September 6, 2018

You Are The Church

I have been thinking a lot lately about the Church and my place within it. I capitalize “Church” here because I mean the whole Christian community throughout time and space. God’s mission through the Church existed before me, and it will handily go on without me. In a way, that can be a source of relief. It takes the pressure off. On the other hand, such a grand scale can make folks like you and me feel wholly insignificant.

In Isaiah 44:24, the prophet writes, “Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by myself spread out the earth.” The creator of all things bright and beautiful, of wild plants and pulsing planets, claims you among all the amazements of creation. You, who woke up this morning with weary joints and stiff hope, you are known and loved by Almighty God. In God’s eyes you are significant. In God’s heart you are precious. God doesn’t need you in the way you might need a plumber or a car mechanic. Instead, God desires for you join in what God is doing and use your one, precious life for the sake of Christ-like love.

It is normal to worry about the future and your place in it. Folks come up to me often and wonder about where the church is heading. I am often asked specifically about where our denomination, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is heading. Maybe a prominent member of ours recently made headlines for saying something controversial. Or maybe there is discomfort about our ever-changing culture. It’s in these moments of sincere concern that we need to be reminded that the ELCA is not some governing authority that hovers above our faith. It is you and me and all people who call congregations like St. Mark home. Your faithful witness to God’s amazing love is the fertile soil in which the church sprouts and grows. Without you, there is no ELCA. With you and the gifts God has given you, the church can share God’s love all the more.

I am so excited for what we, the Christian community at St. Mark, are able to do because we all come together with our valuable uniqueness to be the body of Christ in our corner of the world. As we approach Rally Sunday on September 9th, as well as the Ministry Fair on September 16th, let us celebrate all that God has given us in our community, and let us continue to welcome all of God’s people to join us in our worship and work together. 


Peace,
Pastor Chad McKenna


No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...