Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Walking through the Church

Have you ever walked through a church building in the dark?  I know this may sound odd, but there is something sacred about walking in the church when it is dark.  When I have walked through St. Mark in the dark I noticed the moon light shining through the skylights and the street lights giving off just enough light that you can see the tree branches sway through the stained glass.  The gentle light that shines into the building from the moon and street lights offers a stillness that I don’t feel during the day.

What do you think about walking through the church building in the dark?  When we play sardines at youth group, the darker the better.  The darkness helps the person hiding from being found too quickly.  Some people find it scary and do not want to be in a dark church.   When I get a chance to walk through the church in the dark, I am often by myself and the church is very quiet and still.  This is a sacred moment for me.  Darkness holds a mystery but darkness also holds rest and quiet.    

The quiet, stillness of the sanctuary offers a restful and peaceful space to spend time with God.  A time to pray and a time to listen.  A time to take a deep breath and let go of the craziness of the day.   We all need a time to connect with God and a time for rest.  I encourage you to find your sacred space to spend time with God.

Yours in Christ,

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber       


     

1 comment:

Many Thanks

Thank you for supporting the youth who went to New Orleans for the ELCA Youth Gathering.   Thank you to those who donated money, who helped ...