Thursday, August 10, 2023

Being in Community

Over the past few weeks, I have thought a lot about community.  I have thought about communities from my past that even though I am no long actively participating in them, they helped to make me who I am today.  I have thought about my current communities and how they impact my life. Healthy communities know how to balance loving and supporting each other and holding each other accountable. 

Communities from my past helped me to become the pastor I am today.  They guided me on my faith journey and empowered me to take that first step in starting seminary.  Even the unhealthy aspects of community have helped form me.  I have learned to name things that are unhealthy and I have learned how to set boundaries. 

My current communities continue to help me grow and learn.  As an extrovert, I love being around people and hearing their stories.  This is one of my favorite parts of being in community.  Another aspect of community that I greatly value is the support of a community.  I have witnessed this support many times.  The community of St. Mark doesn’t hesitate to support me when I needed it.  Whether it was the death of my father-in-law back in January or recently when I broke my toes.  The care and concern for me was palpable.  I am so grateful for the St. Mark community. 

Each member of a community has value, from the newborn baby to the oldest member.  Our roles in community change over time, and I find that beautiful.  We cannot be actively involved when we are young children and we may not be able to be active when we are older, but that doesn’t mean we are less valuable.  Our value in community doesn’t change with our role.      

I invite you to reflect on community and how different communities impact your life.  What do you find valuable?  When you gather within community, what role do you feel you have?  What have you learned from being in community?  If you are comfortable sharing, I’d love to hear your answers.    

I give God thanks for the community of St. Mark.  I thank God for each one of you who are a valued member of this community of faith.  I look forward to another year of learning and growing in faith with you all. 

Yours in Christ, 

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything Deserves a Space

A few years ago, I planted a few beautiful coneflowers in one of the sunniest spots in the yard. The little greenhouse card staked into the ...