Thursday, October 13, 2022

Tradition, Worship, Serving and Dreaming

In preparing for a recent bible study, I came across a statement about faith that I had not thought about in a while.  The statement is, “Rooted in tradition, grounded in worship, called to serve, allowed to dream.”  I have been a Lutheran from birth.  I didn’t realize how much of my faith is connected to the Lutheran tradition until I was in seminary.  I discovered how truly Lutheran I am.  I love the creeds.  At the installation service for Bishop Stacie Fidlar we said the Nicene Creed.  It was beautiful to hear the 100-plus rostered leaders and several guests saying the Nicene Creed together.  The creeds proclaim our faith in the Triune God, acknowledging our beliefs in God as our almighty parent and creator of all, Jesus who was truly human who came for us and for our salvation, and the Holy Spirit who works to sustain our faith. 

Worship is an important part of our lives as Lutherans.  Worship is what feeds us each week.  Being grounded in worship helps me throughout the week.  For me, worship is a wonderful way to begin the week.  It is my restart after a difficult week.  It is how I am fed, even when I am leading worship.    When we gather for the Eucharist it is a holy moment where we experience God’s unending grace.  When we praise and worship God in our music and spoken words, my heart, and soul are filled.  When we worship together, we experience God’s mercy, grace, and love that grounds us and helps to sustain us.  How do you feel about tradition and worship? 

Called to serve!  Each of us is called to serve in a different way.  Some are called to be worship leaders and others are called to serve in other areas of ministry.  My call to serve as a pastor was so strong that no matter how much I doubted my ability to be successful in seminary and to be a pastor, God continues to prove to me that God is greater than my doubts.  My call came from God!  I am grateful that God did not and has not given up on me.   How are you called to serve?

I don’t see myself as much of a dreamer, there are times when being allowed to dream is a great gift.   We can dream of what is to come.  These moments of being allowed to dream are sacred moments where we can get lost in our thoughts and our hopes.  What are your hopes and dreams?

“Rooted in tradition, grounded in worship, called to serve, allowed to dream.”  What does this statement say to you?  What does this stir up in you? 

Yours in Christ, 

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber 



No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...