Thursday, June 2, 2022

What is Pentecost all about?

Pentecost literally means “50”.  Which makes sense since the day of Pentecost is 50 days after Easter.  In the Jewish tradition, Pentecost is the Jewish festival that comes fifty days after Passover.  It originally celebrated the harvest of wheat.  For Christians, Pentecost is about the Holy Spirit.  “Lutherans believe that we come to faith, remain in faith, and live our lives of faith by the power of the Holy Spirit.”  (Lutheran Study Bible pg. 1798) I often think about the Holy Spirit as one who keeps me on track and is not afraid to push me when I need it.  Each week when we proclaim our faith in the words of the Apostles’ Creed I am reminded of the importance of the Holy Spirit in our daily lives.  

In Martin Luther’s explanation of the third article of the Apostles’ Creed, he writes “I believe that by my own understanding or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him, but instead, the Holy Spirit has called me through the gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, made me holy and kept me in the true faith, just as he calls, gathers, enlightens, and makes holy the whole Christian church on earth and keeps it with Jesus Christ in one common, true faith.”  The Holy Spirit is the one who helps to keep us connected with Jesus Christ.

Pentecost is also a day where the altar paraments are red, the stoles are red, and we encourage folks to wear red to church.  Red is the color of the Holy Spirit.  My ordination stole reminds me of Pentecost.  The dove on it reminds me how at the Baptism of Jesus the Spirit of God descended like a dove (Matthew 3:16).  The reds, oranges, and yellows throughout the stole remind me of the divided tongues, as of fire, that appeared among the disciples (Acts 2:3).  I am grateful for the Holy Spirit, who at times has pushed me and kept me on track.  I give the Holy Spirit credit for getting me through seminary and the Spirit often gets me through sermon writing.  I appreciate the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.  How do you see the Holy Spirit at work in your life? 

Peace, 

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber   


       

No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...