Thursday, April 23, 2020

Give Yourself Grace

Lately, I have had a hard time remembering what day it is. Though there are still deadlines and weekly meetings, the weekdays have all begun to blur together. Like many of you, most of my days I do as much work as I can while still giving my family the attention they need and deserve. As I write, my daughter is sitting next to me watching an episode of Daniel Tiger. (Which means I have about 22 minutes to wrap this up!) Since my wife’s work is essential, she still gets dressed and heads to the office every morning. Because of that, the weekends continue to be a treasured and welcome change in routine.

I wonder how you are holding up. I pray for you all throughout each day, and I so enjoy the phone conversations we have in order to stay connected. Though, being at the beck and call of a gregarious three-year-old all day means that those do not happen as much as I would like.

It is a difficult season. More time at home, it turns out, does not mean more freedom. Some of you may be juggling work and family like me. Some of you may feel isolated, like your house has become a solitary prison of sorts. Even if you are holding up well, you might have days where, out of nowhere, you feel slumped and weary. 

For us Christians, this season is also one of celebration, even if we are unable to enjoy the actual act of celebrating. When we put our hope in Easter, we do more than simply look to the sky in wonder or tell ourselves that everything will turn out okay in the end. Resurrection is so much more than an assurance that these difficult times are temporary compared to an everlasting joy that is still out of reach. Hope is a light that illuminates the darkness around us. It is not a light at the far end of the tunnel.


Easter hope is our ever-present reality. That same grace that will raise us on the last day can raise us to newness every day. When life is hard and you feel you are not good enough, remember that because of Jesus you are worthy of God’s love. We can fail and fall short daily, and yet God will still give us that same mercy. You do not have to come out the other side of this pandemic as some idealized better person. None of us have ever lived through anything like this. You cannot be expected to adapt overnight and do everything with perfection when the conditions are anything but. Remember the grace God has given you, and give that same grace to yourself. Remember the love God has shown you and show that same love to others with compassion and mercy. Live each day as if the hope of resurrection is already yours, because it is.

Peace,
Pastor Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything Deserves a Space

A few years ago, I planted a few beautiful coneflowers in one of the sunniest spots in the yard. The little greenhouse card staked into the ...