Thursday, March 24, 2022

Lenten Reflection

I am enjoying the Holden Evening Prayer services on Wednesday evenings.   From the glow of the candles, the words of each song, the singing bowl, and the smell of the extinguished beeswax candles, I love it all.  I was first introduced to Holden Evening Prayer while I was on internship.  I learned many of the songs and helped lead the service.  Until this Lenten season, I had not sung the whole Holden Evening Prayer service.  After singing all of Holden Evening Prayer, my love for this service has grown. 

The words of the songs are moving.  As we sing the words Let my Prayer Rise up, like incense before you, a lifting up of my hands as an offering to you, I can see some thin, faint lines of smoke for the burning candles rise up.  I imagine each thin, faint line carrying the prayers we lift up during the service and the ones we hold in our hearts and minds. 

As we journey through Lent and build on the Wednesday evening services, each service brings new meaning for me.  The confirmation class helped light the candles during the first two Lenten services, which is a great way to involve them in the worship service.  This week having Pastor Chad and Andrea McKenna singing together added another layer to the experience.  I loved the difference in the sounds of their voices and when they sang together with a little harmony.  It was so beautiful! 

Holden Evening Prayer services have been a blessing to me.  It is a spiritual practice of singing prayers and embracing a time of silence.  It has been my escape during a busy week as well as an intentional time spent in prayer with God.  I hope your Lenten journey has provided you and continues to provide you with opportunities to connect with God.   

Peace, 

Pastor Katrina Steingraeber



No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...