Thursday, September 9, 2021

Ordination Reflections

The day of my ordination was a bit of a whirlwind day.  I was excited and nervous.  When I walked into Zion Lutheran Church, my home congregation, I was hit with memories from Sunday School, VBS, Confirmation, Scott’s and my wedding, the Baptisms and First Communion of my boys, and my older two boy’s Confirmation. It felt a bit like my life (at least my Zion life) was flashing before me.  And now I have the memory of my ordination.  The worship service was wonderful and I was overjoyed to see so many people in person and I was overjoyed knowing many were watching from home.  What a gift it is to be able to go back and watch my ordination service.  Which I did a few days later. 

After all the celebrating that day and after I was home and I was able to sit still for a moment in the quiet of my house it hit me that I am a pastor.  A pastor friend of mine told me it would happen, she had the same feeling the day after her ordination.  So, I sent her a text says, “I am a Pastor! It sunk in this afternoon after coming home.”  Her response was, “Yes, Ma’am!  You are! No turning back!!”  The same pastor friend asked me about a week later how it feels to be an official pastor.  My response was, it feels a bit surreal, a bit overwhelming, and a bit normal.  She said, “that sounds about right.” 

Fast forward a few Sundays to the first time I lead the Confession and Forgiveness during worship since my ordination and it hit me again, I am a pastor.  I imagine this may happen from time to time, perhaps even for the rest of my life.  It is a humbling experience.  I recently read through the ordination rite and one part of the rite stuck out to me.  It was the words Bishop Clements said as the stole was placed on my shoulders, “Receive this stole as a sign of your work, and live in obedience to the Lord Jesus, serving his people and remembering his promise: ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’ (Matthew 11:28-10)” Each time I place a stole on my shoulders, I will remember these words. 

I am blessed to be your pastor and I look forward to doing God’s work with you all. 

Yours in Christ, Pastor Katrina Steingraeber      



No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...