Thursday, September 24, 2020

A Hopeful Future

When this congregation called me to be an Associate Pastor in 2015, I thought that nothing could top the feeling of joy and gratitude I felt in that moment. You all proved me wrong on August 30th. I am so incredibly humbled and honored to be able to lead this wonderful congregation as your new Senior Pastor. It’s a privilege I couldn’t have imagined five years ago. And yet, I have embraced this with all my trust in God’s grace.

I have a lot of hopes for St. Mark Lutheran Church. I always have. Some of those hopes are things I can have some control over, but the vast majority are up to you as you decide how you want to live into the gospel which frees us all. My most immediate hope is that we can make it through to the other side of this pandemic with confidence, unity, and good health. I am so grateful for a church council that has been wise and considerate as we navigate the unknown. When we do return to the sanctuary on Sunday mornings, normal will have a new meaning, and it will be up to all of us to adjust to that new world and find comfort once again through in-person worship.

A quick word on that. The council and I decided on Tuesday night to extend our drive-in worship services through November 1st. On November 8th, our plan is to return inside for services at 8:00am, 9:30am, and 11:00am. We will need to have capacity limits according to state and county guidelines, but the 9:30 service will be streamed live on YouTube. More details will be coming shortly, and as with everything else in our lives this year, this plan is subject to change.

In the long run, I hope that St. Mark continues to engage with the community around us, both in our neighborhood and in our city. It says a lot that your pastors have rarely needed to be hands-on with outreach ministries because so many of you are quick to share the love of God through service to our neighbors. My greatest hope is that St. Mark continues to be a congregation known for its generosity to the community, as more and more members find ways to share God’s unshakable love in a turbulent world.

In a similar way, I hope that the abundance of land in our care might be transformed into a welcoming and inspiring outdoor refuge for our community. This has been a hope that a good number of you have had since long before my time. For many people, the promise of God’s love is most evident in God’s wonderful creation. We have a tremendous opportunity to use what God has given us to provide a blessed corner of that creation for both our members and our neighbors.

I hope that St. Mark continues to grow as a place where families and children can feel welcome and vital to our life together. I have heard countless stories about the good that our preschool did to foster this sort of atmosphere. With that era in the past, we continue to find new ways to be a church that shows God’s grace to the youngest among us. I am grateful that we have staff and volunteers who have the passion and skill to do this well.

Lastly, I hope that this pandemic has taught each of us that we can be the church wherever we go, and that neither distance nor time can keep God’s love away. I hope you remain curious and eager in your faith, whether you are at a pub or your own backyard. I hope that the promise of resurrection might sustain you in good days and bad. And I hope that God will continue to unite us as the Body of Christ made evident in the people of St. Mark Lutheran Church.

With confidence in the work of the Spirit,

Pastor Chad McKenna



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything Deserves a Space

A few years ago, I planted a few beautiful coneflowers in one of the sunniest spots in the yard. The little greenhouse card staked into the ...