Tuesday, May 19, 2020

With Gratitude

Dear St. Mark friends,

I began my sermon last Sunday acknowledging that my retirement was close at hand.  I shared a famous anonymous quote that seems quite appropriate for this situation: “Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.”  I believe there’s room for both tears and smiles as we anticipate closure to our shared ministry over the past fifteen years.

We can all relate to departures and the subsequent transitions that result from them.  Life is largely defined by the way we handle these transitions.  In his book, Managing Transitions, William Bridges writes, “It isn’t the changes that do you in, it’s the transitions.  Change is not the same as transition.  Change is situational: the new site, the new boss, the new team roles, the new policy.  Transition is the psychological process people go through to come to terms with the new situation.  Change is external, transition is internal.”

Thirty-seven years ago, I was ordained into the holy ministry of Word and Sacrament.  I knew what I was getting into: a vocation that would involve a lengthy sequence of hellos and good-byes; a series of exciting beginnings, as well as grace-filled departures...a lifetime of transitions.  Tears and smiles serve as salt and pepper, seasoning our lives as we serve God and neighbor.  I realize that, for some of you, my retirement may seem like a mixture of salt and pepper.

Pastor Chad will become St. Mark’s primary pastoral leader in June, as is the case in the vacancy of the senior pastor position.  I encourage you to fully support Pastor Chad in his new role during the call process.  It’s also important to clarify the boundaries that I intend to observe as a newly retired pastor.  Professional etiquette requires that I find a new church to join in the coming months.  Thus, I will not attend any future worship services or church events at St. Mark unless specifically requested by the new senior pastor.  The one exception to this will be an available Sunday down the road once we have returned to our church nave for full worship services.  I look forward to preaching one final sermon in your presence in the weeks to come!

I will also refrain from any pastoral care in my retirement.  This includes weddings, funerals, baptisms, counseling, and any other pastoral acts on behalf of St. Mark.  While I intend to honor the friendships that exist, I will refrain from engaging in any discussions or activities surrounding the many ministries of St. Mark.  This vital separation of pastoral expectations and activity is necessary and healthy for all of us, allowing St. Mark to move forward with new leadership and bold visioning for the future.  God is faithful...you are in good hands!

Finally, I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve St. Mark these past fifteen years.  Together, we have served this community with faith, courage, and innovation.  We have wept together, and we have laughed together.  We have endured many trials and hardships, and we have celebrated significant growth and accomplishments.  We have done it all as one family of faith. 

Regardless of the numerous transitions that define our individual journeys, we will continue to serve one Lord and one Church.  In that light, we will always be together in the Spirit...sharing in the common work of serving Jesus!

With deepest gratitude,

Pastor Mark



No comments:

Post a Comment

Courageous Women

March 8 th was International Women’s Day.  It is a day to celebrate and reflect on the progress made on women’s rights and a day to call fo...