Thursday, April 19, 2018

Not Your Typical Wedding

Dear St. Mark friends,

Like many of you, my role in the family carries multiple titles.  I am a husband, a father, a grand-father, a son, and a soon-to-be father-in-law.  On Saturday, April 28, our youngest son, David, will be married to his fiancé, Maureen.  I am privileged to perform the wedding ceremony at the outdoor pavilion at Anderson Gardens.  The current weather forecast predicts a cloudy but acceptable temperature in the mid-60s.  Whew…we’ll take it!

David’s and Maureen’s wedding bears remarkable similarities to Naomi’s and my wedding in Woodinville, WA, on June 7, 1980.  First, Naomi’s father, Eldon Lyso, (a Lutheran pastor) likewise performed our ceremony.  I was more than a little nervous as to what he might do and say.  Eldon was a prolific jokester, and I wasn’t going to put anything past him.  Thankfully, he was both serious and humorous at all the crucial moments.  It was a glorious wedding ceremony!  I am eager to carry on this paternal tradition with David and Maureen.  Still, I want to keep them guessing just a bit.  I have plenty of fun “material “on David I could share!

Second, in preparation for our wedding in 1980, I wrote a song for Naomi five days before the ceremony.  It was a bold move, but I really wanted to do this.  Immediately following our marriage vows, I sang my song to her while playing my guitar.  Truth be told, I was more nervous about messing up that song than I was getting married!  Thank God, the song came off perfectly.  David has likewise written a beautiful song for Maureen and will sing it to her at their wedding, accompanying himself on his guitar.  Like father, like son!  It will be quite moving, I’m sure.

Jesus loved weddings, performing his first miracle at a wedding in Cana.  There will be no need to turn water into wine at this wedding reception, however.  Franchesco’s Ristorante is well-stocked!  None-the-less, Jesus will be present with us as we celebrate their marriage in the presence of God, family, and friends.  Like all proud parents, Naomi and I rejoice in their marriage.  We trust that you share in our joy!  

By the way, don’t bother looking for me at worship the next morning…I’ll be sleeping in.

Walking this journey of faith with you,


Pastor Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment

God at Work in Nature

One of my favorite parts of spring is watching nature come to life after resting all winter long.  It is even more joyous and meaningful bec...